At the end of the reign of Nicholas I, Emperor of Russia a new variety was discovered in the Ural mountains. Circa 1853. Soon demantoids were being incorporated in some of the finest jewelry ever created. The famous court jeweler Fabergé used demantoids in his jewelry and made it a very popular gemstone. At the end of the 19th century there was a true ‘demantoid fever’ infecting all of Europe. The bright green stone has a high refractive index and dispersive powers, which actually outrank diamond, they are usually suppressed by its body color, thereby earning it the name demantoid (diamond-like.) It’s the most well-known andradite garnet and one of the most valuable garnets of any variety.
This cluster ring is a truly rare and unique find. The bright green demantoid is 0.75 carats with a halo of antique old mind cut diamonds 0.40 total carat weight. This ring would make for a spectacular and unique engagement ring, or a right hand ring to impress for any jewelry collector.
- 14 karat yellow gold and platinum
- Demantoid Garnet, approximately 0.75 carats
- Old Mine Cut Diamond halo, approximately 0.40 total carat weight, VS-SI, I-J
- 0.47" length x 0.44" width
- Size 6.75, complimentary ring resize available upon request. Please note rings that have been resized are not eligible for return or exchange as we believe in preserving each piece's integrity. You may send a ring back to us for resizing at a later date if you would like to keep the option of making a return available to you. Please see our FAQs section for more information.
- Circa 1900. No hallmarks.
- Condition = Very good. Metal has slight signs of oxidation, which shows the age of the ring. Common with a ring of its age.